Tuesday, August 3, 2010

School has begun!

I don't know how teachers do it. I found out about twenty minutes before school was starting that I would be teaching seven periods. Seven periods that I had NOTHING for. Thank goodness for Alex. She gave me ideas and cheered me on. Probably would not have made it through the day without her.

I had been hoping to sit down with Principal Sharon on Sunday, but she didn't have time. So I didn't know what to expect or what was expected of me.
Winged it like a champion. Maybe not a champion... But winged it nonetheless. I teach anywhere from 2nd to 8th grade, they come and go depending on the period so doing lesson plans is going to be a hassle. But the kids are so wonderful. I don't know any names. Ok, I know one, Lily. I've nicknamed the rest of them in my head. I can't speak their language, but they are full of smiles and I love it. The call me teacher- they say tee-cha, some students just call me cha. When they ask to go to the bathroom they put their hands together in front of their chests and bow a little, it's a sign of respect and I just want to hug them.

We did puzzles today and every time the second graders put a piece in they would say YAAAY and clap their hands. I can't speak their language and they can't speak mine, but we can laugh together. And at this poin laughter is all I really need.

1 comment:

  1. It makes me happy that you all laugh together. I miss you friend!

    ReplyDelete