Friday, December 24, 2010

Since it's Christmas, Let's Be Glad.


I am not perfect.

My life, is not perfect.

You can always count on the Cambodian people to be the first to point out any imperfections.
My children have pointed out to me things from faulty machinery to behavior irregularities.
It's one of those things that you have to take in stride, because no social-cues in that sense can be rough on the self-image.

Olga has spent the last, I don't even know how long, preparing for the Christmas program.
She has worked endlessly to find music, plays, costumes, decorations. She has taught songs, practiced songs, and spent every afternoon with Special Choir.

I took an hour out of each day this week and had my kids practice their songs. I practiced patience while I tried to get them to sing, voiCE, rejoiCE and ChrisT.
Sopheak says in his way, Chaaaa, why you make up practice again and AGAINNNN?
Because I want you to do well!

And then it's here. It's December 24th. Tests are finished, classes are finished. The only thing left to do is party and SING.

After flag raising, everyone is marched into the big tent to practice before the program at eleven. As Sharon makes the announcement about what is happening she says, do it well the first time and we won't have to practice again and again!! I make eye contact with Sopheak and we both laugh.

We got through practice with enough time for a forty-five minute party. Perfect. I had made muffins and cookies. There is fruit and juice and little gifts for everyone. Things are spilled, messes are made, but there is lots of laughter.


The Christmas program starts at eleven. All the kids are lined up in a sea of star crowns and animals masks. It's adorable, and I can feel appreciation and love for this place and these people rushing back in after a week of complications, stress and noisy kids.


The program is long and it's hotter than you could ever imagine a Christmas Eve could be. Things don't go perfectly. Drama kids forget their lines, they still sing Chri, Voi, and rejoy, and changing groups to sing takes a lifetime.

But then it's time for Special Choir to sing Breath of Heaven.
"I am waiting in silent prayer. I am frightened by this load I bear. In a world as cold as stone, must I walk this path alone? Be with me now. Breath of heaven, hold me together"
They sing as Mary wanders the stage crying under the weight of what she is enduring. She is not perfect, or fearless. As she crumbles, angels come to her side and hold her up.
As the song finishes, "But I offer all I am, for the mercy of Your plan." Mary is ready to have the baby.


As I watched this, it struck me anew, Christmas is not about gifts, costumes, or perfection. It's about inadequate, mixed-up people.
People who need a savior.

I'm not perfect. Jesus came to save ME. This is good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment