Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Noticed.

I can't go outside without getting stared at.
Moto drivers that sit outside the market know where I live although they have never taken me.
What I say is noticed.
How I react.
How I behave.
How I look.

Everything is noticed.

Today I was walking home with one of my students who works on the mission in the afternoon.
We saw fake $100 bills that had been put out for the spirits and I picked one up.
As we were walking the final road to the church a young man who lives down the street started walking next to me, bouncing a ball, and counting the bounces in Khmer.
I smiled and counted with him.
I saw him eye the fake $100 bill in my hand, glancing from my face to my hand and back again.

I debated handing it to him or tucking it into my bag. But I settled for crumpling it in my hand and pretending not to see his glances.

Everything is noticed.

Last week at school I was grumpy. My children were being terrible and I was having none of it. During break time they asked me, Teacher, you no happy today? Why?
The following break time I was presented with snacks and a "we love teacher annie" card.

Everything is noticed.

On Saturday night Phil, Olga and I were riding our bikes to school to go play games with the dorm kids. I tried to cross the street without enough caution and was hit by a moto. I have significant bruising.
On Monday at school a large number of students and teachers noticed the bruises on my legs and asked.

Everything is noticed.

We've had, not drama, but some situations in our SM group. It's not really something I want to discuss on the internet. But, we found out that is has been noticed. Some people outside of the foreigners have been asking questions about us.

Everything is noticed.

I am led to wonder if I am noticed for the right things. For the things that I came here to represent. I teach bible class every day in my room. But I know that in the end my actions will mean more than my words. Have my actions been enough?

Today I was in the back of my classroom getting ready to leave for the day while Olga was starting special choir. A few of my boys were talking and I shushed them and motioned for them to turn around and pay attention. They complied with a smile and salute.
Olga had them stand for prayer, it would have been just as easy to continue what I was doing quietly in the back of the room. But I paused what I was doing to bring my hands together at chin level and close my eyes along with the room full of students.
As I opened my eyes again, I heard one of my ESL kids whisper to another, Teacher Annie pray too.

As it turns out, everything is noticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment