Friday, February 25, 2011

Habits.

Fridays are not my favorite day.

My kids know it.

One of their spelling words this week was -rage -
On sentence writing day I read a sentence that said, On Friday Teacher Annie have rage a lot because students don't listen.

Borey was so proud of himself for that sentence. I had to laugh, because usually by fourth period on Fridays I am beyond grumpy.

It's kind of like Saturday nights at camp. Except, instead of just controlling the chaos, I have to get the chaos to study and make up work from the week, and take two tests.

During the last period of the day on Fridays a spelling test and a memory verse test take place.

This weeks memory verse was Jeremiah 29:11, on Monday they complained it was too long and they would never remember it. This verse has the word -DECLARES- so I made that the focal point, how do we declare something? Well, by emphatically shouting it of course. So every time we practiced, we SHOUTED, we DECLARED! And when they I heard them practicing outside of class time, they were DECLARING it!

Only two people got less than 50%. This is a miracle.

Then it was time for the spelling test. Spell ten words and explain five!
1. edge
2. huge -Noreak, turn around!-
3. January -Joshua! Stop talking!-
4. Juice ....35 more minutes...
5. jar -Boreach raises his hand.- Yes, Boreach?- How do you spell juice?- j-u-i-c--WAIT. WHAT?!

You see, when the number one question in your classroom is, How do you spell...? It becomes a habit, a reflex.

And these habit things are hard to break.

No comments:

Post a Comment