Monday, February 14, 2011

St. Valentine.


In case you have been wondering, Valentine's day originated from Catholic martyrs in the early Christian church. A holiday based on Christians being killed.
Lovely.

All the Valentine days in the past few years have gone by unnoticed, or as subtle reminders of, oh hey look at all the happy couples. Lets watch movies with Jen.

Last year Valentines day was spent in Quincy with people who I classified at favorites. I don't want to go into details, just know it resembled more the original holiday than all that lovey dovey stuff... But I digress.

This year I am in Cambodia. This year boys and all that business is the last thing on my mind.

Today at school Fay gave us goody bags, students threw flowers and candy in my direction. Threw is not an exaggeration, I was definitely hit in the head with a lollipop.

Standing on the second floor walkway Mara and Aliza yelled up, Teacher AnNIE [NIE is where the kids put emphasis in my name] We love YOU!
Sovantha hugged me and said, remember that I love you!
Some of my kids saw a picture of Deanna and I on my computer and asked, why your sister more beautiful than you? And then laughed at themselves for being so clever.

After school Olga, Phil, Travis and I went to The Shop to eat ice cream and play Dutch Blitz.
And when I rolled back into the mission there were three of my favorite kids waiting for me. Joshua, Jonah and Thida. Their parents were in a meeting and instead of staying in the dorm where they live, they came to our house.
We played games, I helped Joshua and Thida study for the map quiz I'm giving tomorrow, we went down and peaked in the windows at the top of the church.
And then as fast as they came, they were gone again.

As today ends, I am left feeling complete. I am not missing a piece because I am not dating, I am not incomplete.
I am made complete by a Savior who loves me enough to have brought me to Cambodia, and by children who call me Teacher.

I don't need a fancy night on the town. I'm satisfied right where I am.

"I'm just as happy with little as with much. I've found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, whatever I am I can make it though anything in the One who makes me who I am."
Philippians 4:14-16

No comments:

Post a Comment