Saturday, October 16, 2010

Cuddly kids.

This morning I was late to church. I was talking on Skype, thinking I had another hour, and then I look up to see Olga walking out the door. Wait, what time does church start? 15 minutes ago. Shoot.

I quickly made toast and ran out the door and down the stairs shoe-less in true Sabbath fashion. I'm going to have to write a blog about how I don't ever wear shoes. Seriously though, mostly never.

As I got the bottom of the stairs I heard praying and it quickly became apparent that everyone was on their knees. In Cambodia when everyone kneels in church, instead of facing forward you turn around and face the back. I don't really know why. But that means when eyes opened at the end of prayer I was the first thing they saw standing in the back of the sanctuary.

I looked towards the dorm kids, feeling pretty sure that all the seats were taken and I was going to have to sit in the back. Joshua, my favorite kid, the love of my life, catches my eye. I motion, is there room for me? He motions back, come. Where?, I ask. He points to a seemingly empty seat next to him. It's pretty much the front of the church but without a second thought I go. The kids are small, they can double up if someone is actually sitting there. I just want to sit with them.

As I scoot in past some of the dorm girls they all grab me and exclaim, oh teacher! Sreyes-ah! Beautiful! Which, I have my hair down so I qualify as beautiful today. Yes, yes, everyone is watching! I laughed, let go! Be quiet! I sat down in the chair next to Joshua and he leaned over and whispered, Happy Sabbath, Teacher. I like you come sit with me.

I'm just in love.

On the other side of me was Henry. I'm not sure what grade he is in, but he is the smallest of the dorm kids. When I sat down he hugged me and exclaimed, TEECHAA!!

Now, you should know, one thing I miss in Cambodia is cuddly kids. I loved my jobs in Walla Walla. I took care of some of the best kids. I especially miss Sophie, she was my little cuddle bug, from the moment I got there to the moment I left she was attached me to. I love that girl. But as a teacher you can't have the same kind of relationship that you can as a nanny. Sometimes Rose holds my hand and all my kids hug me, but it's just not the same.

Anyway, Henry is sitting close to me and as church is going on I can see him kind of swaying. I look over just in time to see him fall asleep and his head land on my shoulder. I just melted. His head fell back a few minutes later and smacked the chair, in his surprise he sat up. I snuck my arm around so when he sat back it was against my arm instead of the chair. He breathed a loud sigh and slipped back into sleep staying there until the end of the service.

More than a sermon, more than any song, Henry asleep in my arms brought me close to God on this Sabbath.
As the service ended I thanked God for knowing what I need and providing. Maybe not an abundance, but enough.

And enough is plenty.

1 comment: