Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The First Ten.

Let me just say, I think my ideal job would involve me just loving children. And the year is coming pretty darn close.

Every day, around 3pm, I am reminded why I love my life.

The bell to end 6th period rings at 2pm. I have usually spent the last hour sitting at my desk grading, or talking on Skype to the remnants of the west coast as they sign off for bed.
Not going to lie, today I spent it just staring out the window. Which is an improvment from last week when I took a nap on the floor.
Anyway, I usually receive a few grade three visitors who today came in to tell me, Teacher Sopeap make us run!! Why? We are noisy! I laughed out loud.
I walk with them down to the office and standing talking to them and others who come running over until the bell rings are they run back to class.

Walking into the office I kick off my shoes and praise God for air conditioning. Making copies takes so long. Oh my goodness. When that is finished I head to my favorite 7th period place, the library.

Entering the second and last air conditioned place on campus I am greeted by Fay with a, I was wondering where you were! or Yay! She's here! -- I always take grading and good intentions with me, but usually end up talking with Fay the whole time or doing some leisure time reading.

At 3pm the bells let us know it's time for go home. [Haha. I love my ESL kids.] I say goodbye to Fay and make my favorite walk of the day. The dorm kids are heading to the dorm to drop their stuff off and change clothes and the path between the two buildings are full of kids I love. Most say hello, Cha! Many ask a question or shout something at me as I pass, and a few stop me with a hug or some sort of action. Today Henry sat on my foot holding onto my leg shouting, I am the kingdom! while I tried to walk.

Instead of taking the stairs right there I walk the cement down to the far stairs passing all the grade school classrooms. There is always some sort of grade two ambush, little girls screaming and running at me. It's good.

I say hello to parents I recognize and they smile. Students say Cha, where you go? I poke my head in grade three and Sen Sopheak always yells something at me that I don't understand. He gives a thumbs up and I wave.

Quickly I run upstairs and grab 1000 riel [25 cents] from my desk and walk back down. More students, more hugs, more questions. I exit the gate and cross the street. Rooty. Made by one of the sellers with a cart that he drives around. It's like a crepe with an egg and sweet cream inside of it. Sounds gross. Looks gross. Tastes so so good. Cambodia may not have crepe guy, but we have rooty.

Crossing back into school I pause to say something to my favorite guard. Today I thanked him for standing at the open gate. He laughed.

I climb the stairs back to my classroom knowing that soon Joshua will appear to tell me things in broken English and make me laugh.

It may not be much, but those first ten minutes after school are good. So good. No matter how hard the day has been, those minutes remind me to laugh, to love, to be really alive. And it reminds me just how happy I am here.

And oh boy, am I happy.

1 comment:

  1. My goodness Annie! I miss you! I'm glad you are so happy there though. We need to talk more often. I wish I wasn't so darn busy! Love you!

    ReplyDelete