Sunday, October 3, 2010

Drenched.

Last night it rained. And I mean, it always rains, but last night it REALLY rained.
On a scale from one to ten, from mist to monsoon, it was a Hurricane Katrina type situation.

I had just walked in the apartment when it started to come down. Saturday evenings we spend over at Tim and Fay's eating dinner, playing games and socializing. Olga had decided to not go and wanted to make chai and watch a movie. I wanted to do the same, but after I went to Tim and Fay's for a few minutes.

After being gone longer than I expected, Olga was a little huffy when I walked in because it was 8:17. Which we both agreed was too late to start a movie. [We're 80 years old, I am aware.] It started raining moments after I walked in, the kind of rain that soaks you in seconds that comes in through open windows and washes the sides of houses.

I jumped up- Olga, we have to go outside and dance in the rain, and we have to do it NOW! Put some dirty clothes on. We're goin.

What? Annie, no. What?

Get up! We're going outside.

Ok.

Outside we went. Our little porch was already flooded. And our balcony had ankle deep water on it. We jumped up and down, we yelled, we danced. And when the excitement wore off we ran to Tim and Fay's to get others to dance with us.

On the way over I realized I was shivering. It was a big moment, that hasn't happened since I got to this country.


Fay came out to see what was happening, and Nay-ha, Avak, Sumara and Lesley all came out to dance with us. We ran back up to the rooftop and danced, yelled, jumped and celebrated a God who lets it rain.

These situations don't come around very often. We are not often provided with an opportunity to throw our hands up in the air and yell just because we can. Or maybe, we don't take enough chances to, we decide to stay inside when it rains.
Thats all well and good, but getting up and going outside, being free, and full of LIFE, well, that doesn't feel too bad either.

1 comment:

  1. Annie you made me feel like dancing and it's not even raining here in Portland. You just keep on dancing for the Lord. We need to express our gratitude for all He dose for us. Thanks for sharing. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete