Thursday, October 21, 2010

The New Normal.

Almost three months ago I arrived in Cambodia.

I can't believe it's been three months already!!
I can't believe it is almost November.
And I also can't believe the things that have become normal.

Reality just isn't my thing I guess...

Being an SM has provided a view of reality I haven't experienced before.
The phrase we use a lot is- It's ok, we live in Cambodia.

It's hot all the time, and we eat rice a lot. But it's ok, we live in Cambodia.

When I first arrived in Cambodia I was shocked by how many people they put on a moto, three, four, five! And little children!! So dangerous! In amazement I took pictures of this.

Now, three months in, when Phil, Olga and I go out sometimes there is only two moto guys sitting outside the mission, so Olga and I just get on the back of one. Without helmets. This seems completely normal.

Three months ago, we picked ants out of the sugar. Now we just move them aside.

This week Olga found worms in her lunch at school. Big worms. And we all wondered if we also had eaten worms. But we just kind of shrugged it off, it's ok, we live in Cambodia.

Yesterday we were at a church out in one of the provinces. Chickens were running through the church, and no one thought anything about it...

When my time started in Cambodia I was startled and a little offended daily by the amount of men that pee on the side of the rode. And we also are stared at, doesn't matter where we go, or how many times we have seen the same people, they stare. But slowly, you become used to it. When we were in Thailand a few weeks ago, men weren't peeing everywhere, and we weren't being stared at really at all. And that was a little strange.

A few nights back Olga and I were sitting on the couch, above us the air conditioner was dripping pretty seriously. I looked over at Olga, are you getting splashed? Yes. Me too.
Neither of us did anything about it. It's ok, we live in Cambodia.

One of my girls was walking toward the mission when I rode past on my bike. I stopped and said, get on! She jumped on the back. It's very convenient, I don't know anyone walks if there is a bike. Olga rode on the back of mine the other day. It didn't end quite so well, but the two "barang" sitting in the middle of the street laughing hysterically must have been a sight.

I don't wear shoes. Pretty much ever. "Teacher, where are your shoes?" "She doesn't wear them, don't you know!"

Sometimes I don't understand what is happening around me, and sometimes our tuk tuk driver is lost, but it's ok, I live in Cambodia.




Being in a different culture is changing my thinking.
I'm learning, embrace, embrace, embrace. It's the only way to live!

I'm pretty much completely happy here.

It's a different version of normal.
Maybe it is my never satisfied desire for adventure, but different is good.
Different is healing.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Annie!!!As I read your comment on my blog I decided to rememebr old time and read your post (I thank you very much for doing what I didn't!!I regret so much not writing last year, taht's why I'm doing it now!!)

    It brought me good laughter!!!!Specially the ac dripping on us and we falling in the middle of the street!!!Good times!! I miss them!

    ReplyDelete